maanantai 22. huhtikuuta 2013

You are what you know.


You are what you know.”
Nowadays people consider knowledge as everything. In fact I think it’s overvalued.
It is true that your amount of knowledge and information is part of you, but I disagree with the quote “You are what you know” because I don’t think that your knowledge itself defines who you really are. It’s only a part of it. In my opinion “you”is defined with a lot of more things than knowledge alone. What you do and how you use the facts and the knowledge, your experiences and your imagination define your true personality and your true self much better.

Even though I slightly disagree with the quote, I still can tell what the person behind it pursued. Our thoughts and actions often rely on what we know about certain things and what we have experienced. That is why the more we know, the more we can use that information in our everyday lives. Still your lack of information, or your intelligence does not tell if you are a good or a bad person or what kind of person and personality you are.

Every time after our exam weeks at school I have to remind myself of an important thing: Even though I can’t succeed in every subject, the most important thing is that I tried my best. And, that numbers don’t define who you are or if you’re a good or a bad person. Numbers only tell you how well you have understood something, and in my opinion if you have tried your best, you should not be sad of a failure. Failure can sometimes be a good thing that pushes you forward and gets you trying even harder to accomplish your goals.

So no. all in all In my opinion you are not what you know. And you really can’t define yourself only by the amount of information or knowledge you have.



2 kommenttia:

  1. I agree with you completely and in my opinion knowing different things only tells that you are curious to know, learn and try new things and then you can also share the information to someone else who wants to know about them. Knowledge is about curiosity, not about what it makes you to be and as you said, making mistakes is not bad, it actually pushes you to try to fix it and it also tells that you have tried your best and that is the point.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Good attitude - never let disappointment with school grades get you down! Hopefully it will give you extra motivation to learn more in the future. I'd go along with your reasoning that there is more to us than what we know. Then again, it all depends on how we define 'knowledge', doesn't it? Aren't our experiences also part of what we know, in the end? Well written piece, all the same!

    VastaaPoista